Skip to main content

Conditional Sentence | If Clause | Type Two

In the previous lesson, we talked about Conditional Sentence Type I. Now, Let's get a move on!

Conditional Sentence Type Two

Study this following illustration!
www[dot]crunchyroll[dot]com


/I would do whatever/ is called:

Main Clause or Independent Clause.

It is because it can stand alone without /If he called my name/. Then, the last one is;

Sub-clause or Dependent Clause.

It is because it can not stand alone without a main clause.




Why Conditional Sentence Type Two?
We called it as Conditional Sentence Type II because the clause uses Past Form Verb to build it.

I would do whatever -- > Past Future Tense --> Subject + Would + Bare-Infinitive
He called my name --> Simple Past Tense --> Subject + Past Form Verb.

This type describes that the event has been completed and it would never be true in the present time. It has similar to this following example when we would like to express something that would never be true.

Example:

If I were you, I would help him.

In the present time, someone I pointed to is not I, and In fact, I don't help him.
look at this below carefully:

Conditional:
If I were you, I would help him.

Present/Fact:
I am not him/her and I do not help him.

When we use "be" as a verb in Nominal sentence of Type II, we should use the be "were" for subjects, even, /I/. It determines the conditional expression.