Skip to main content

ADVERB CLAUSES







KEY : Adverb clause is a sub clause which has the same use as adverb and mostly expresses a series of actions in an certain time, cause and effect, opposition and condition.

In the previous lesson, we have already discuss that adjective clause and noun clause has the same structure as adverb clause, namely, there are two parts :

1.Sub Clause
2.Main Clause


A sub clause will be called like this because it has this following structure:

Conjunction + Sentence

Conjunction which used in this pattern is different of others'. Conjunction, here, must describe or express time, cause and effect, opposition or opposite statement and condition. Read more ......


A. Conjunction which is used to express something happen in some TIME


After
Before
When
As
By the time (That)
Since
Until
As soon as
As/so long as
Whenever
Every time (that)
The first time (That)
The last time (that)
The next time (that)


For examples:


Before I go to school, I have my breakfast first.
Please call me as soon as you get to Lampung.
I'wll do everything as long as you take me with you.

In this case, the combination /Before/ and /I go to school/ is an sub clause which modifies time.

B. Conjunction which is used to express CAUSES AND EFFECT (Sebab-akibat)


Because
Since
Now that
As
As/So long As
Inasmuch as
So (that)
In order that

For examples:


I come here because I need you.
As you picked him up, I went on foot.

C. Conjunction which is used to express OPPOSITION


Even though
although
though
whereas
while

For examples:


Tony goes to school although his leg hurts.
He threw away the fruits whereas he actually likes it.

D. Conjunction which is used to express CONDITION

If
Unless
Only if
Whether... or not
even if
Providing (that)
Provided (that)
In case (that)
In the ecent (that)

For examples:


I will be back if you send him out.
I am not exactly sure whether she wants to give a talk for the evening party (or not).