Skip to main content

STEP-8 : UNDERSTANDING AND PRACTISING PRESENT SIMPLE

From the previous Lessons I posted, we have already learn about Simple Present Tense. But in this page, we will discuss it more details and practise it in a series of dialog.
What you have to consider and understand is when present simple will be used.

1.Habitual action
2.Daily activities
3.General truth


If you still doubt or don't understand enough about Simple Present tense, please click here.
Remember that there are two types of forms of present simple, they are;

1.Verbal Present simple, and
2.Nominal Present simple.


In verbal sentence, you have to use lexical-meaning-verb (bare-infinitive form). Adding the suffix /-s/ or /es/ depends on the subject.

Use /-s/ or /-es/ when the subject is /he/, /she/, or /it/. And, omit the suffix when the subject is /I/, /you/, /we/, or /they/. Remember that this rule is only in positive sentence. But when you change it or make it into negative or interrogative sentence, omit the suffixes then use the auxilliary /do/ or /does/ which depends on the subject. Use /do/ for subject /I/, /you/, /we/ or /they/ and use /does/ for subject /he/, /she/ or /it/.

For examples:

(+) Andi talks about his pet.
(-) Andi doesn't talk about his pet.
(?) Does He (or, Andi) talk about his pet?

Answer Methods:

Yes, he does.
No, he doesn't.

In Nominal sentence, use /be-present/ like /is/, /am/ or /are/ which depends on the subkject. Use /am/ for /I/, use /is/ for /she/, /he/ or /it/ and use /are/ for /you/, /we/ or /they/.

For examples:

She is hungry.
I am tired.
They are my friends.

When you change them into negative or interrogative sentence, the changes will be illustrated below!

(+) She is hungry.
(-) She is not hungry.
(?) Is she hungry?

(+) I am tired.
(-) I am not tired.
(?) Am I tired?, here, means /Are you tired?/.

(+) They are my friends.
(-) They are not my friends.
(?) Are they my friends?

Abbreviation of /BE/ in Nominal sentence:

I'm, I'm not
you're, you're not, you aren't
we're, we're not, we aren't
they're, they're not, they aren't
he's, he's not, he isn't
she's, she's not, she isn't
it's, it's not, it isn't

PRACTISING PRESENT SIMPLE

Do not forget that when you use present simple in your dialog, you have to know that all talks must be related to habitual actions, daily activities or something true according most of people, at least, around you or general truth.

For examples:

Tony    : Hello jack!, you look so busy today.
Jack    : Hi! can you help me with this table?
Tony    : Sure ... (lifting the table ..)
              Do you have time for a minute? I want to talk to you something.
Jack    : What is it? Well, It looks so important.
Tony    : (Sitting ...) Well, Actually I have registered in the google mail but I want to sign in but I can't.
Jack    : I think you you should reset your password, tony.
Tony    : Can you help me with it?
Jack    : OK.

From the dialoq above, we find the determiners of present simple, like ; look, can help, want, have, is, should reset and think. Those words are in present simple form. As you know that the dialog happens in the daily event.

Now try to make a short story at least 150 words by your own words which is related to present simple form (Either in Nominal or verbal sentence). Or, an example of dialog.
If you have already written it, if you don't mind, please let me know by posting it into ASK-GRAMMAR
I'll contact you as soon as possible when I find some mistakes (please don't forget to type your email and I'll give you response for your work). Good luck!