Skip to main content

MODAL AUXILLIARY

Auxilliary is similar to helper. It helps word or sentence to make a new pattern or meaning. Modal auxilliary is a group of auxilliary which modifies verb about ability/disability, possibility/impossibility, obligation/necessity, planning to do something, etc.

NOMINAL SENTENCE

KEY: Put “BE” behind the modal auxilliary!
For Examples;

    I can be angry (saya bisa marah)
    She must be Irvan suhadi (dia pasti si irvan suhadi)
    They will be here soon (mereka akan kesini segera)
    You may be out (anda boleh keluar)

Put “not”behind the auxilliary to make a negative pattern!,

For Examples;

    I can not be at home soon (saya tidak bisa pulang segera)
    She must not be irwandi (dia pasti bukan irwandi)
    They will not be on time (mereka tidak akan tepat waktu)
    You may not be away from me (kau tidak boleh jauh dariku)

    Can not     = can’t  /kant/
    Will not    = won’t /wount/
    Must not    = mustn’t /mazen/
    May not     = mayn’t /mei-yen/    

    (note: mayn’t is rarely used)


To make an interrogative pattern, place the auxilliary at the beginning of the sentence!

Will you be mine someday?
(maukah kau menjadi milikku suatu hari nanti?)

VERBAL SENTENCE

KEY: Put The Bare Infinitive behind the modal auxilliary! ( leave the “be”!)

For Examples;

    Positive pattern :    you can read the text.
    Negative pattern :    you can’t read the text.
    Interrogative pattern :    can you read the text?

The Synonym of modal auxilliary

    Can    =    be + able to *)
    Must    =    have to/ has to *)
    Will    =    be + going to *)
    May    =    be + possible/probable *)

*) Note: “be” in this case is either in present form or in past form. Use ‘have to’ when the subject is /I/, /You/, /We/, or /They/, and use ‘has to’ when the subject is /he/, /she/, or /it/).

For Examples;

    It is possible for us to do that 
    (ini mungkin saja bagi kita mengerjakannya)

    they are going to have a try again.
    (mereka akan mencoba lagi)

    I am able to finish the job perfectly.
    (saya bisa menyelesaikan pekerjaan itu dengan sempurna)

    I have to tell you something.
    (saya harus memberitahumu sesuatu)

Study this following examples!

    He may be late.            Can you help me?
    What can I do for you?        Where must I go?
    How can I get there?        How can I get to the post office near here?
    When will you arrive?        She won’t believe whatever I said.
    May I call you back later?        Can I leave a message?
    Do I have to trust you?        You mustn’t touch the wall!

Modal Auxilliary in Past Form

KEY: Not all the past form above indicate the past time form, such as, could, would, should, had to and might.

For Examples;

    Could you do me a favor?
    (dapatkah kamu membantuku?)    (“could” is to make polite request.)

    would you pick me up?   
    (maukah kau menjemputku?)    (“would” is to make polite request.)

    she might be right.
    (dia mungkin memang benar!)     (“might” is to show big possibility)

    I had to see him.
    (saya terpaksa menemuinya)    (“had to” is to show a necessity)

    or,

    I will have to see him.
    (saya terpaksa menemuinya)