Skip to main content

Verb Pattern 7

I'm so sorry for not attending in many media like FB, Twitter and This page. It was because I have so many things to do and to finish. Believe me that I simply can't avoid from the biggest duty I never found before in my life.

Now's time for me to continue our lesson: Verb Pattern 7.

Subject + Verb + Preposition + Prepositional Object

For example:

I am waiting for you.
Do you agree to the decision?
The bag belongs to me.

From the examples above, we can see that there is a preposition that is placed before the object or after the bold word (waiting, agree and belongs). That is called preposition.
Here, the preposition is placed together with the verb. The preposition belongs to the verb.

Wait for
Agree to
Belongs to

Take notice that the existence of the preposition is meant that there will be an object after the preposition. This is then called Prepositional Object because the object (you, the decision or me) is placed in the position of an object.

So, It is impossible to say like this:

I'm waiting for. (with for)

instead of,

I'm waiting. (without for)


Remember that the preposition for is meant to bear an object or prepositional object.




Note: Study this following examples:

I met him.
I met with him.

The usage (not "uses") of preposition, sometimes, makes us confused. It is because both British structure and American Structure have their own style and rules. The use of /with/ in the example above will give us the choice (British or American?)