Skip to main content

Phrasal Verbs And Its Types

Phrasal verbs   

are verbs that change their meaning in some way by the addition of one or more particles (prepositions or adverbs of words like at, out, after, for, etc.)

For examples:

Pure Verb : Take
Phrasal verb : Take off

There are four types of phrasal verbs:

  • Types 1: When the object is a full noun the particle may come either before or after it. For example: I will take off my jacket. or I will take my jacket off.
When the object is an objective pronoun like /him/, /her/, /you/, /us/, /them/, etc. it must come between the verb and the particle.

For example:

Give it up, now!
  •  Types 2: This type consists of pure verb, particle, preposition and the object. The particles always precedes the pure verb. Besides, the particle and the preposition can not be separated from the stem. (except with the verb "be" which is used in negative sentence, see on (b) below)
For example:

(a) She always gave in to his demands.
(b) I was not about to do the presentation.

  •  Types 3: This type has the particle which follows the pure verb and you can place objective pronoun or the full noun after it.
For example:

My cousin looks after him.
or,
My cousin looks after something.

Remember that we use particle in this structure and not

prepositions

. To verify the differences, compare these following sentences:

Let's go into the discussion! (/into/ refers to particle)
Let's go into the living-room! (/into/ refers to preposition)

I look after my grandma.
I look after her (/her/ refers to /grandma/).
  •  Types 4: This type does not need an object after it because it uses:

    intransitive verb

For example:

She grew up.
We stayed up.